Thursday, September 3, 2009

Coping With Copenhagen: Intro


I've decided to steal the following questions from my friend's travel blog because I'm lazy.
In case you still haven't heard, I will be spending my junior fall term abroad at the University of Copenhagen in Copenhagen, Denmark. I created this blog because I know we're all busy with our own lives. I will use it to record my experiences for memories' sake and to keep you posted about my adventures abroad. Many of you have asked me why I'm doing this, so I'm going to answer two of the most frequently asked questions:

1) You've already left home to go to school on the other side of the country, why are you going farther away?
The whole reason I settled on Dartmouth anyway was because it is so far out of my comfort zone that I knew I'd come out a more mature and malleable person after four years. That being said, going to Denmark, which is like 8000 miles (~ 13000 km) away from Cali only seemed like the next step in my journey for self-discovery. After taking Astro 2/3 this summer, the most logical next destination for me is living on the lunar surface for four months, which will surely be less expensive than living in Copenhagen :-D

2) How did you choose Copenhagen? Why not anywhere else?

I saw a 20/20 special two years ago about Denmark being the happiest country on the planet. Furthermore, I studied the economy of Denmark in a class this past winter and it seemed like a fascinating country. To top it all off, common descriptions of the Danish personality types sound a lot like me. For those who know me quite well, you'll recall that like the Danes, I:
1. Am not a big fan of small talk
2. Can be hard to get to know at first
3. Have a very sarcastic sense of humor that's often misunderstood as offensive
4. Value my privacy and "space"
and 5. Once I open up to you, I often talk way too much, but can make a very loyal friend (self call, I know!)

If this whole culture is predicated on my way of seeing and doing things, then coming here is the most logical to do!

On a more basic note, I wanted to come here because it's a foreign country that speaks English as well as their national language [my Japanese is way to rusty to survive in Tokyo for four months... :-/  ]

I hope that you'll subscribe to my blog and I plan on updating it as often as possible.

Send me your address if you want postcards (but you have to write to me too)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment