Sunday, September 13, 2009

A funny story about food...

Not surprisingly, Europeans hold Americans in low regard (a persistent stereotype is that we're all fat, loud and uncultured). But one humorous motif that keeps popping up...
Last I met a bunch of Germans at a party and told them that I like Denmark so far, but sorta miss American food. They immediately replied, "Oh don't worry! There's a McDonalds and a Burger King downtown!"
Also, at this matriculation ceremony the President of the college said that there were going to be refreshments served outside, including an American style dessert (this was after he cracked a few jokes about Reagan).
Of course, we get outside and they're serving processed, sugary store-brand cupcakes (like the ones you get at Safeway or any supermarket) that are so sweet that I had to spit it out.
Finally, Puj, Martella, Casey and myself were at the grocery store in the frozen food section and were surprised to see a burger in a bag (literally, a full burger with bun, lettuce, tomato etc, completely frozen and for sale. yuck) and NOT SURPRISINGLY it had an American flag on the wrapper!
In short, disgusting, unhealthy junk food that doesn't even taste all that good is immediately identified as being authentically "American"...fml

2 comments:

  1. hahah...yeah, even our bus driver who dropped us off on the first day joked that there's "American embassies" everywhere...a.k.a. McD's. I don't even know what's considered "authentic" American...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, thats funny. Keep the stories coming guys they are very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete